General Manager - Mountain People's Food Co-op (Nederland)
30 E 1st St
compensation: USD minimum $46,800 annually for a full-qualified candidate employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
At Mountain People's Co-op, we bring forth over 40 years of supporting our mountain community to make natural and organic foods accessible. We support and celebrate everyone’s unique identities, perspectives, and abilities and believe that our diversity adds value and makes our cooperative stronger. For this reason, we continually work to
foster a diverse, inclusive, and accessible environment where everyone is able to be their authentic selves. We welcome everyone who would like to join us in this mission!
The job of the General Manager is to lead and oversee all operations and organization of the co-op so that it achieves the objectives that are determined by the Board of Directors, sales goals, staff ambitions and the changing needs of our membership and community. The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors, which is elected by the owner members of the co-op. The Board uses this job description to define the expectations and responsibilities of the General Manager.
The responsibilities of a General Manager will change as the store progresses. Areas of responsibility are as follows:
1. Collaborate with the board treasurer on development of long and short range plans to achieve co-op purposes including monthly and annual cash-flow projections.
2. Oversee financial operations of the cooperative including bookkeeping systems and bank accounts with board treasurer.
3. Track sales and payroll to ensure that sales goals and expense spending fall within goals set.
1. Oversee compliance with the cooperative’s personnel policies and work with the Board of Directors to update as needed.
2. Hire, direct, structure, coordinate, evaluate and lay off staff without discrimination.
3. Develop a staff organizational structure that promotes fair distribution of work while maintaining maximum service to customers.
4. Work with the Treasurer to ensure that payroll is in line with goals.
5. Follow all state and federal changes to laws that impact staff and payroll.
6. Ensure a safe, healthy workplace for employees.
7. Ensure adequate training of staff.
1. Ensure a profitable, growing business.
2. Maintain knowledge of natural foods retailing and industry trends.
3. Maintain appropriate relations with wholesale distributors, local markets, and other industry sources.
4. Ensure the establishment and maintenance of a product mix that meets customer needs.
5. Plan and execute a margin strategy designed to be price competitive and maintain adequate profit for growth.
6. Ensure compliance with all applicable laws: licenses, permits, health regulations, employment, register with appropriate agencies, continuing education as needed
7. Manage utilities, business insurance, assets, and vendor contracts.
8. Address all necessary building and equipment maintenance.
1. Develop a marketing strategy to increase public awareness and sales of the cooperative’s products and services.
2. Work with the Board of Directors Outreach Committee to communicate information about the business to the owners through a regular newsletter.
3. Prepare or oversee store displays, signage, and other promotions to maximize marketing impact.
4. Work with staff and Board of Directors to set and meet community outreach goals.
5. Support and collaborate with low-income, economically disenfranchised members of our community and the local organizations that serve them.
6. Prioritize working with local vendors and businesses.
7. Participate in and support organizations and events that support the local sustainable food production.
Education, Skills & Experience
• High school diploma/GED or higher education
• 1-2 years direct supervisory experience in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluation, compensation, and letting go of staff, preferably in a grocery or a related retail field
• Experience supervising managers
• Can easily handle multiple demands, difficult decisions, and changing needs, with a sense of urgency and strong ethics in the completion of the needed tasks
• Demonstrated ability to motivate, lead, listen to, and coordinate people to promote success and maintain a positive work environment
• Strategic planning experience including articulating a vision, gaining support for ideas, being proactive and keeping momentum going forward for growth/change
• Openness to useful new ideas, regardless of where they come from
• Experience with operating, capital, and cash budgeting and interpreting financial statements is an asset
• Business bottom-line accountability experience
• Knowledge of current trends in the natural and local foods industries is an asset
• Possesses excellent customer service skills
• Possesses basic computer and technology skills
• Cashier experience is helpful
• Willingness to work in and learn all positions within the store
• Great enthusiasm for working at Mountain People’s Food Co-op and a commitment to cooperative values and principles.
Salary & Benefits
• 20% store discount
• Monthly health insurance stipend
• AFLAC benefits: short-term disability is covered plus a monthly contribution towards another program of choice
• Paid holidays for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day
• Paid vacation: Earn one week after working one year. Earn two weeks after working two years. Then two weeks every year after.
• After 1 year of employment, eligible for Simple IRA plan through Vanguard. The co-op will match employee contributions up to 3%.
• USD minimum $46,800 annually for a fully-qualified candidate
How to Apply
To apply, send your your cover letter and resume by January 31, 2021.
This job description is not an employment contract. It does not guarantee a job. The duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, requirements, and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and are not exclusive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Board of Directors reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or work environment changes.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers