The Direct Support Professional in the Residential Apartment Program assists individuals living in an independent setting with various activities of daily living and recreation, while maintaining high standards of care and safety.
1. Ensures access to and supervision at community activities based on interests, preferences and input of people in services as assigned.
2. Demonstrates positive communication with and is respectful towards team members, people in services and community members
3. Safely transports people to and from work and recreation activities using a passenger van or other assigned vehicle
4. Monitors health needs and assists people with attending medical appointments. Ensures that the required paperwork is completed and appropriate people are notified of the outcomes of medical appointments
5. Assists people who have physical and/or intellectual disabilities, with entering, seating, and exiting a vehicle/passenger van with physical support and assistance as needed
6. Properly administers medications to individuals and provides assistance, as needed
7. Trains, supervises and assists individuals with planning their daily routines, and completing activities of daily living, including occasionally changing protective undergarments, bathing, and daily hygiene, when needed.
8. Assists people with mobility, including people who use wheelchairs, walkers or other adaptive equipment.
9. Monitors social behaviors and instructs and models acceptable alternatives
10. Participates in training courses and maintains certification as required by agency
11. Accurately implements and documents individual goals and progress, accurately documents contact notes and incident reports, and records Behavioral ISSP and Medication Support Plan documentation
12. Utilizes agency approved physical crisis intervention techniques, as trained, to manage behavioral episodes of people in services
13. Provides medical care in accordance with established protocols, including First Aid/CPR when needed
14. Prepares meals and assists individuals under care as needed
15. Cleans and disinfects facility surfaces and equipment
16. Attends team meetings, follows agency policies and procedures, and maintains regular and reliable attendance.
1. May pick up medications and shop for groceries and other supplies
2. May schedule medical and other appointments
3. Transport people with personal vehicle, as needed
4. May shovel snow to permit access to people who utilize wheelchairs or other adaptive equipment, as needed
Knowledge, Skills,and Abilities
1. Knowledge of intellectual and developmental disabilities and a general understanding of the impact on activities of daily living
2. Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities
3. Ability to perform simple math calculations
4. Computer skills sufficient to complete reports, respond to email, operate a printer/scanner and track activity-related information
5. Ability and willingness to drive a passenger van to transport individuals
6. Ability to transfer individuals from a wheelchair to various positions and locations
7. Ability to physically assist people with mobility as needed
8. Ability to work with limited supervision in the completion of job duties
9. Skill in dealing with varied personalities associated with developmental disabilities
10. Time management and flexibility skills required in the management of household tasks and job duties
11. Skill in preparing healthy meal options
12. Ability to operate standard kitchen and household equipment, such as a range, oven, washer and dryer, and vacuum cleaner
High school certificate or equivalent preferred. Previous experience working with individuals with disabilities is preferred.
The incumbent primarily works in residential locations and may include contact with bodily fluids, sanitizing chemicals, and may be subject to explosive or angry behaviors from individuals with disabilities.
Tools and Equipment
The incumbent works with wheelchairs, power wheelchairs, and other mobility assistance devices, a passenger van equipped with a hydraulic Hoyer lift, and standard household and kitchen equipment
Regular sitting, standing, and walking required, with occasional stooping, kneeling, lifting, reaching, and driving, and regular cooking and cleaning
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. May perform other duties as assigned.
North Metro Community Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.